Group Term Life Insurance

If your former employer provided more than $50,000 of group-term life insurance coverage during the year, the amount included in your income is reported as wages in box 1 of Form W-2.

Also, it is shown separately in box 12 with code C. Box 12 also will show the amount of uncollected social security and Medicare taxes on the excess coverage, with codes M and N.

This information is found in the Wages, Salaries and Other Earnings chapter of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax.